Friday, May 7, 2010

BACK TO VANCOUVER

Here I was on the Canadian Pacific Railroad heading back to Vancouver. The train ride from Calgary takes you through the Canadian Rockies, perhaps one of the most beautiful train rides you can take. The majestic mountains are often snow capped, even in summer. The mountain streams and rivers, we crossed on railroad bridges, came cascading beneath the train. So much to see that your face seems glued to the picture window by your seat. It was something I will never forget.

I had called my father in Vancouver and he was happy to have me stay with him until I decided what I wanted to do. On arrival in Vancouver I took the interurban train to Steveston to stay with my Dad. I could hardly believe it, but my old dog Chum was still alive and well. I'm not sure he remembered me, even though he wagged his tail when he saw me.

After a few days and a few discussions with my Father, I had my mind made up to enlist. I made my way to the recruiting station and tried to enlist in the Air Force. They would not take me unless I was eighteen. Since I was only seventeen I was out of luck. Going by the Army recruiting station, I found that they would take me at seventeen and a half. I had given my old friend Bill Applegath a call and we got together for lunch. I found that he too was going to enlist within a couple of months when he reached enlistment age. In the meantime, he was working for a dental lab learning to be a dental technician. I found out that they had another opening and asked Bill if he could recommend me. That's how I got a job with Bain Brothers Dental Lab. It was good training but the pay left a lot to be desired. I got five dollars a week for five and a half days, Monday to Friday Eight thirty to six and Saturday, eight thirty to one o'clock. They also threw in a streetcar pass. All I needed now was a new place to stay. My Dad suggested that I contact his brother Percy, who was married, and lived in Vancouver. Percy was in the Army with the rank of Sergeant Major. He and his wife had a son, Bruce, who was about ten years old. Percy was based right in Vancouver so he was home every night. They were happy to give me a room and board. (Even packed me a nice lunch, which I would consume in Stanley Park, just a short walk from the office.)

Bain Brothers was a good training ground. They made you work for your salary, which was fine; however, if you were five minutes late they would lock the office door and make you wait outside until they let you in. Now, Vancouver is a very foggy place, especially in the morning. We started work at eight thirty which meant I had to catch the streetcar around seven forty five. The problem was that I would have to catch the streetcar about an hour earlier if it was foggy. I know that it's hard to believe, but the fog got so thick that you could barely see your hand in front of your face. The streetcar would crawl along about two miles an hour, the motorman constantly clanging his bell to let one and all know he was coming. This led to my being a few minutes late from time to time. I recall Mr. Bain, in his thick Scottish accent, telling me that time was money and if I was late again he would have to dock my pay.

Bill Applegath left after a couple of months and joined up in the Army Dental Corps. I remained with Bain Bros for a few more months then enlisted in the Army Infantry. I was posted to the town of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, where they had a large army base where you had to go through about two month's basic training. The Army trainers at Saskatoon were mainly older British Imperial Army Officers. They were about as tough as they get. Just about what you would expect from the old guard. Remember the poem, "Guns to the right of them, guns to the left of them, volleyed and thundered, there's not to reason why, there's but to do and die".

I recall watching a regimental boxing match. Both fighters put up a good fight but eventually, one fighter was pretty well beat up. His second threw in the towel. The other fighter stopped punching. One of the British Officers entered the ring and threw out the towel, saying "in this army you don't ever give up, continue the match". He insisted the fight continue although the beaten man just stood there with his arms at his side, bleeding all over the canvas, while the officer insisted that the other fighter finish him off. To his obvious dislike, he gave him a light punch to the chest and the man fell down and was counted out.

I was able to pass all the gunnery classes and even got a marksman medal. My only problems were the forced marches. I managed to do most of them, but one day I had to fall out as I couldn't make another step. The Sergeant that day was not one of the British Imperials so he wanted to know why I dropped out. I pulled off my boot and it was full of blood. He had a jeep pick me up and take me back to the barracks with instructions to see the Post doctor. When the doctor saw my feet he became rather upset. According to him, I should never been allowed in the infantry. My feet should never have passed inspection. The Doctor said that he was going to recommend a transfer and asked if I had any skill such as bookkeeping, etc. that I could do. I told him that I had been a dental technician before enlisting. He promised me that he was going to see if he could arrange my transfer to the Dental Corps.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment