Saturday, June 5, 2010

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS

The job offer from Dr. Spurgeon, one of the dentists that I worked with in the Army at Chilliwack, came as a real surprise. Although we had been friends as well as Army comrades I honestly had never expected much in the way of communication after we all returned to civilian life, especially from somebody who had returned to life in California. I was flattered that he thought that much about me. Since he offered me the job of heading up his dental lab, I certainly was not going to turn it down.

My first call and visit was to the U.S. Immigration office in Vancouver. I needed to find out what I had to do to enter the United States and accept a job there. I found out that my Canadian occupation as a dental technician would give me a preferred place in line. It would be helpful if I had a sponsor, preferably a relative, who would be willing to guarantee that they would support me if need be. I should also have the promise of employment. There were also many forms to be filled out, including my honorable army discharge and a police report that I had no criminal record. I would also have to obtain a Canadian Passport for crossing the U.S. border.

I called my sister in Rhode Island. She, and her husband Harold, had purchased a home in Coventry R.I. and were both employed. Vera had a job as Secretary to a Supreme Court Justice in the Supreme Court, in Providence and Harold was working as a civilian at the Navy Yard. They both agreed to become my sponsors. I was able to get a job confirmation letter from Dr. Spurgeon. Finally I had obtained all documents required. Now I had to wait for a call from Immigration. I was informed that this would take two to three weeks.

I had resigned from the post office and was staying with my father. While waiting for my hearing at the U.S. Immigration Office, I learned that my mother had obtained her discharge from the Canadian Air Force and was visiting Vera. We spoke on the telephone and she told me that Vera had updated her on my situation and had agreed to sponsor Mother as well. As my mother said, she had no reason to start her life again in Canada, if her two children were going to be living in the U.S.A.

It took all of three weeks to hear from U.S. Immigration. They had found everything was in order and I was granted Immigrant status. They gave me a green card and I was on my way. I was certainly going to miss living in Canada, and especially Vancouver. The only American experience I had was my trip to Washington D.C. and a couple of trips to Seattle while I was in the army. From what I had seen on those trips, I felt sure that the American and the Canadian people were pretty much the same and I would get along just fine. I had always been a very positive and adventuring person who rarely saw anything negative. I was looking forward to a new adventure, perhaps the beginning of a whole new life, and I could hardly wait to see where it would lead.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment