Monday, September 6, 2010

LIFE IS FULL OF CHALLENGES!

Perhaps the title of this blog should be "ANOTHER CHANGE", but then, isn't any change a challenge? One never knows if change is going to be good or bad. Every time anyone comes to a crossroad in life, one can only try to make a calculated guess as to where it will lead. Perhaps you decide that you're not going to make a change and instead just continue straight on. All your life you're going to wonder what if? Nothing in life comes with a guarantee. You can try to avoid change; however, change is not always up to you.

1960 became a year of decision. If you've been reading my blogs, you'll recall that I spoke about Dolf Bulterman, the District Sales Manager from KLM. I learned that Dolf had a couple of brothers. They were born in Holland and their mother was a secretary to Albert Plessman, the founder of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. Dolf's brother Charles was an executive with KLM in New York.

One day, around November of 1960, I ran into Dolf, in Springfield. He had come down from Boston and wanted to speak with me. There was a Friendly's coffee shop nearby, where we had a cup of coffee. Dolf told me that KLM was expanding and was planning on opening a District Sales Office in Hartford. He asked me if I would be interesting in applying for the job of District Manager. He had spoken about me to the KLM U.S. Sales Manager in New York and had recommended me. Now KLM wanted to interview me in New York. I told him I had no experience in the European Market. Dolf said that I had lots of airline experience and I could learn the foreign market. I said that I would like to think it over and would contact him the next day.

Going home that night I spoke to Helen about the conversation with Dolf Bulterman and that I thought I should try for the interview. Helen was very much opposed to the idea. She mentioned the 13 years I had invested with Eastern and didn't want me to throw it all away. I told her that Eastern had an opening for a District Manager in New Jersey that I had applied for. I told her I had gotten the interview, but was told by Eastern that they thought I was too young for the job. That was in 1957 and I was 31 years old. I knew the man who got that job; he was about 50, but I believe I was better qualified than he was. I sure didn't want to wait another 20 years to get another opportunity. Helen was still opposed. Her father was a tool maker who had been in the same job for thirty years. He came from the old school where you work 9 to 5 and, if you lived long enough, got a gold watch. I told her I had to see where this new opportunity might lead. I promised her that I would not make a firm commitment without talking to her. The following day I called Dolf and asked him to make an appointment for me.

A few days later I found myself in the KLM building, in New York. The interview went very well. However, I was told that the Company never employed anyone without extensive testing and that as of that moment they would like to offer me the position, subject to the testing results. The salary they offered me was substantially more than I was making at Eastern. The testing was going to be over a two day period, with an outside private company that specialized in determining the suitability of prospective employees. KLM paid the cost involved and would provide overnight accommodations in New York. I thanked them, and said that I would call them to let them know the date when I could return for the test.

Frankly, I was concerned over the testing. It had been years since I had taken any tests and the thought of two days of it was already giving me a headache. When I got back to Springfield, I told Helen about the interview, the salary offered, and the need to pass their tests. Helen once again protested the whole idea. She thought that if I failed the tests, it would somehow get back to Eastern etc. I had to make a decision. Go against my wife's objections, take tests that I might fail, or should I just remain a Sales Rep for Eastern and maybe, someday, get a promotion. I had been very impressed with how I had been received by KLM, their modern offices, and the KLM building on Fifth Ave. Something told me not to pass up this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment